Saturday, May 10, 2014

Determination Pays Off

I had decided I would finish this novel today - and here it is done, with 20 minutes to spare!  Very proud of myself for knocking this one out so quickly.  Anyway, a couple of things that stick out to me - one is Rushdie's apparent fascination with hair.  I would love to research the symbolism of hair and what it means, in particular, to the Indians.  And the other thing is that I have always thought that Indira Ghandi was revered for being a good president, but I definitely need to research that as well, since Rushdie's portrayal of her was not at all flattering.  I found that very interesting, and I am going to learn more about that time of India's history.

But, for now, I will move on to the next novel on my list, which is My Antonia by Willa Cather.  This book was originally published in 1918, and as with other novels by Cather, this is set in Nebraska during pioneer days. It is the final book in her prairie trilogy - the first two were O Pioneers! and The Song of the Lark.  I have read this before, and while (again) not the genre I generally read, if I recall correctly, it was an interesting enough story.  Guess I'll soon find out if I remember correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment