Friday, May 23, 2014

And there you go

Bob Dylan and Jackie Robinson - the ultimate question and the ultimate answer.

How many roads must a man walk down?
42.

So simple, and yet, so profound.

Douglas Adams wrote this wonderful satirical farce of a novel, but it opens up the mind so much.  If a man must walk down 42 roads in his lifetime, does that mean he take 41 wrong turns before he hits on just the right one?  Or are there 41 short paths before you hit the long one that will lead you to your true self?  So many questions, and only one answer.

In finishing up this latest novel, I find that there may be just one answer, but there are definitely infinite questions.  But I have not had enough wine for all of them, so I shall move on.

To the next book, that is.  Which happens to be Tropic of Canter, published in France in 1934 by Henry Miller (due to banning, it was not published in the U.S. until 1961).  This is another book which I have not read, and the only thing I really know about it is that is was banned due to things related to sex.  Published 80 years ago, that definitely peaks my interest.  Sounds like my kind of book!

No comments:

Post a Comment