Friday, May 16, 2014

And...done!

Another one gone - believe it or not, there are only seven more books on the list!!  So excited - I might just make my goal!

Anyway, some last thoughts.  This book was crazy - and completely drug-addled and pointless.  Kerouac could, however, turn quite the phrase.  A couple favorites from what I read today:

"Driving across the world and into the places where we wold finally learn ourselves."

"Just across the street Mexico began. We looked with wonder. To our amazement, it looked exactly like Mexico."

And my personal favorite, from the book's last page: 

"Tonight the stars’ll be out, and don’t you know that God is Pooh Bear?"

There are so many other horribly poetic sentences in this book, that I believe that alone makes this book worthwhile reading.  300 pages of hitchhiking/driving back and forth across the country for no apparent reason - sure, why not?

But on to bigger and probably better things.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is the next book.  Written by Mark Twain and, interestingly enough, it was originally published in the United Kingdom in December 1984, three months before being released in the United States.  I wonder why?  Anyway, I have read this before, but that will definitely not spoil me for another go-round.

1st edition book cover

No comments:

Post a Comment