Monday, May 12, 2014

(Belated) Mother's Day Poem

Mama -

I wish I had the opportunity
To say what's in my heart
I miss you unbearably at times
I thought we'd never part
To use somebody else's words
You're the wind beneath my wings
You never strayed away from me
No matter how I messed up things
When I didn't have a friend to care
I knew you'd be beside
And when I felt the heat too much
I'd come home a while to hide
But I didn't have to take a trip
All I had to do was call
Just to hear you one the other end
Would make up for it all
I'll never get the chance again
To thank you for loving me
Or to thank you for being my solid rock
Always there in stormy seas
Even when I didn't merit it
You never failed to stand by me
And now when I have my darkest days
I'm glad you're watching over me

(Written less than two years after my mother died, I still feel this way every day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment