Saturday, April 26, 2014

Part Three - Complete

Finished with part three (and then some), which tok me to the exact middle of the book.  As I have mentioned before, one of my professors  said to pay attention to the middle of a novel because quite often something quite memorable/important happens then.  I would say that is definitely true here - at the end of section three, the war ended and Ashley came home.  Pretty important stuff for this novel,wouldn't  you say?

I have moved past that part now, and am currently at the moment when Scarlett has just made a dress from her mama's curtains and has arrived in Atlanta to find Rett.  No telling what;s going to happen next, but I bet it won't go like Scarlett thinks it will.

I don't know much about Margaret Mitchell, but I can see why many don't like the portrayal of the South here, especially the language and ideas she uses regarding Blacks.  It is easy to see how one could still, to this day, be put off by it.  Many time I have been offended while reading this, so I know of which I speak.  It would be interesting to learn whether Mitchell thought that way or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment