Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Wow Factor

So I am surprised that considering the subject matter how easy a read this book is - I expected it to be slow going, but three days in, and I'm already over a quarter of the way through.  I have set a goal to read at least three chapters a day so that I can finish in 10 days (since I'm WAAAY behind  where I should be on the list - this is book 10 of 26, and I'm already 6 months into it), and I was worried at first, but it does not seem like it is going to be a problem.

I think my favorite parts of the book are when Steinbeck focuses so intently on such little things, almost describing them too much but not quite.  Some, like the chapters I mentioned yesterday, were almost like little short stories in themselves, but in today's reading, the level of detail about how the truck was packed up for the big move was something I found fascinating.

I am seriously wondering, however, just when Tommy leaving the state while on parole is going to come back to bite him in the ass.  The time frame in which this novel is set was not a time where you could easily track someone who leaves his home, travels 2000 miles west, and is probably well on his way to becoming a migrant farm worker, but I think that Tommy's parole has been mentioned too many times for it not to become relevant to the story at some point.  Let's see if I'm right.

No comments:

Post a Comment