Saturday, February 8, 2014

Wow

Can't believe I haven't had time to read (or post) for almost a week.  I've been busy, busy, busy at work and school, but Friday nights are good for something!

Got done with section one last night - and all I can say is Wow!  The story of what happened to Beloved is intense and very sad.  definitely made me think of Heidi Durrow's novel, The Girl that Fell from the Sky.  What has to go through a mother's mind to think that the best way to protect her children is to kill them?  On an intellectual level, I can semi-understand the fact that you do not want your children to suffer the atrocities that you yourself have lived through, but as a mother, especially as one who has lost a child, I cannot fathom how you think no life is better than a hard one.

Morrison's treatment of such a heart-breaking topic is stellar, and as a Black woman, it had to be intense for her to research the topic so thoroughly, but her research paid off - the authenticity is there, in every vivid detail.  I am hoping for a semi-happy ending, but I think that may be optimistic of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment