Sunday, February 9, 2014

Another one bites the dust...

Done with Toni!  As opposed to many of the scenarios that were running through my head about hoe the end of this novel could have been written, it ended much to my satisfaction.  Almost mundanely, comparatively speaking, but not anything macabre, which is what I was really expecting.


Although I am an English major, I am not reading any of these novels with any thought of analyzing them to death - that has been done too many times already by those much more brilliant than I am.  Rather, I am reading for pleasure, a notion that most English majors have difficulty with once they have gotten to the Master's level or beyond.  I, however, never want to lose that - it is more important to me that I read a good story than that I read a story that can be analyzed in a particular fashion.  And I did enjoy this novel - the subject matter is hard to swallow, but Morrison's prose is easy to enjoy.

Next up:  Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.  Yet another book I should have read already, but since I did not go to high school past the first semester, books that most folks read in high school were ones I never got around to.  That is one of the reasons I decided to take on this list - it is giving me an opportunity to enjoy some classic literature that should have already been in my arsenal.  The Grapes of Wrath definitely falls into that category, and I look forward to it with anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment