Friday, February 28, 2014

#12 down

Finished that one rather quickly as well.  The Sun Also Rises was a good story - no plot in particular, but a semi-autobiographical telling of some of Hemingway's time in Europe.  And it is well known that he had a hell of a time for many years.  I have a book of letters of his - some he wrote and some written to him - and he had a fascinating life.  Did things that most people only dream of, and he did them with gusto.  My favorite letter in the book was written to Hemingway by Zelda Fitzgerald, and in the letter she mentions how she did not want to give the baby (who was teething) too much heroin - I'm sorry?  Is there a correct dosage of heroin for infants?  Those '20s were some crazy times, for sure!

Anyway, on to the next book - An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser.  Originally published in 1925, it is listed as crime fiction, which is probably my favorite genre.  I have never read anything by him, so I am looking forward to finding out why this is considered a classic. I just hope it doesn't take me too long to read - at over 900 pages, it is quite a bit longer than pretty much any book I've EVER read.  Maybe it's in big print?

No comments:

Post a Comment