Monday, February 10, 2014

Getting into it

Ran through eight chapters between yesterday and today, and I can tell it's going to be slow going sometimes.  Some things are quite funny, though, like when young Tom is telling how his mother beat a door-to-door salesman with a live chicken - got myself a vivid picture of that and had to share with my children, who were cracking up as much as I was.

I also was amused about how Steinbeck wrote a whole chapter about a turtle moseying along in the sun and how it got itself up over a curb on the side of the road.  He also wrote the entire chapter 7 about a used car salesman, out to take everyone for every dime he could.  Seems like that stereotype has been around for the whole 75 years since this book was written and perhaps even before.

No comments:

Post a Comment