Monday, February 17, 2014

Moving On

Well, not bad if I do say so myself - done with The Grapes of Wrath, a 454-page book, in only 8 days.  And while I cannot say it was a bad book (because it was truly excellent), I have figured out a couple of things.  One is that I like Disney endings - and most of the books I have been reading definitely do not fall into that category.  Gloom and doom seems to be what is necessary for "great literature," and that's why Karen Eiffel's last novel in Stranger than Fiction, as Dustin Hoffman's character said, would never be great literature.  The second thing I figured out is that I prefer popular fiction - most of the books I read, mainly cop books and lawyer books, get tied up in neat little bows by book's end, and I LIKE THAT.  I don't think that has happened with any of the books on this list I'm no, but there's still hope.

Anyway - on to To Kill a Mockingbird, the only novel by Harper Lee.  Originally published in 1960, this book has never been out of print in the past 54 years due to its continued popularity.  It's also the last book on the list that made 8 of the 11 "Top 100" lists.  I have read this several times, and I do love it - I get that satisfaction of a clean and wrapped up ending in this one, so on I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment