Sunday, June 1, 2014

Well, How About That!

And just like that, I am down to three more books to read on this list.  Tropic of Cancer took some doing to get through, but I made it!  As I mentioned before, there are lines in Miller's writing that can really grab you - I have at least five I plan to use for song titles - but his obvious misogyny makes him hard to read (for me, anyway).  But I am done now, and on I go.

The next novel is Zora Neale Hurston's Their Eyes were Watching God, first published in 1937.  When first published, Hurston was maligned for not painting a prettier picture of Black life in the South and for not ignoring women's sexuality, but she has since gained critical acclaim and is now known as a significant 20th century American author.  I have not read this before, so I am really looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment