Saturday, June 7, 2014

Another One Down

Whoo hoo!  Down to only two more books on the list!

This one was a joy to read - I cannot believe Hurston was ostracized for such a long time, but I am so glad she is considered standard fare now.

I have to do three papers of about 15 pages each for my comp exams to get my Master's in English, and I think I may just use this book.  At least that would give me an excuse to read it again so soon!

But before that, on to the next victim.  Here we have To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf, one of the few non-American books that are on the list.  And I know it's not because Americans think their books are better - it's just because many of the "Top 100" lists that were consulted were lists of American books to start with, so that gave them the advantage of being on the most lists.  But, I digress.

Virginia Woolf - from what I've read of hers, she was a staunch feminist and supporter of the arts.  I also know she had mental issues and was perhaps the victim of sexual abuse by a relative.

To the Lighthouse was first published in 1927, and according to Wikipedia, this novel does not have much of a plot, so I may find it harder to read, but it's only around 200 pages, so at least it won't be interminable.  On we go!



ToTheLighthouse.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment