Thursday, June 26, 2014

And so it begins...

I have begun the last novel on my list.  That is all.

Okay - just kidding. 

This book is in 18 chapters, or as Wikipedia calls them, "episodes."  So if I read one a day, that will get me to a finish date of July 13 - a full two weeks ahead of schedule.  I am not sure I can manage that, but I did manage to read Episode 1 today.

My immediate thought is, "Wow - did Joyce have a problem with organized religion or what?"  I'm not really sure I made much sense of this episode, but that's okay.  I have about 600 more pages to figure it out, right?

For my first foray into Joyce, it wasn't so bad.  I know - I should have read him before, but I think we've established that I am a terrible English major.  I spend no time on the classics and an awful lot of time on cop books, lawyer books, and Dean Koontz.  But I say, "F#%$ the classics."  The books of the Odd Thomas series are classic to me, not to mention his other 70 books that I know and love.  No worries - I like being a low brow.

No comments:

Post a Comment