Wednesday, June 25, 2014

And then there was one...

Whoo hoo!  Finished with To The Lighthouse.  At least the ending was somewhat satisfactory.  They made it to the lighthouse; she finished her painting.  Oh, I'm sorry - should I have said spoiler alert?
My final analysis goes with what I've been saying all along - beautifully written but boring. I was about ready to shoot myself in the foot so that I would be sent to the hospital and be laid up in bed and have nothing to do but read and finish this book.  Thank goodness such extremes turned out to be unnecessary.

Anyway - on to the last book on the list!!!  Yes - just one book left and exactly 32 days in which to finish it.  Then I will have achieved my goal of reading these 26 books in one year.  As much as I don't want to read this book, I am very excited to get it started and finished.  Here comes Ulysses  by James Joyce.

According to Wikipedia, "Ulysses is a modernist novel by Irish writer James Joyce.  It was first serialized in parts in the American journal The Little Review from March 1918 to December 1920, and then published in its entirety by Sylvia Beach in February 1922."

This novel chronicles what happens to the main character, Leopold Bloom, on one particular day in 1904.  At least the day is my birthday - June 16.  Much of To the Lighthouse, about 2/3rds of it, happened all in one day as well, and I found that quite remarkable for how limiting it would seem to be to write.  I did not care for Woolf's version too much - let's see how I feel about Joyce.  Well, I'll see tomorrow - I am done with reading tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment