Sunday, August 11, 2013

Halfway Point

I am now exactly halfway through the novel (so it's obviously going to take me more than 2 weeks to get through this first novel - I will have to "catch up" with the next one).  Dr. Pressman once told me that something big often happens at the exact halfway point of a novel, but I don't see that here.  Just more of the same old circular rhetoric that Heller has such a gift for.

I do still, however, want to know what's up with the beginning of the book.  With a beginning like, "It was love at first sight.  The first time Yossarian saw the chaplain he fell madly in love with him," the reader would expect that statement to play an important part in the book.  After all, Heller deemed it important enough to start the book off that way.  So why did he choose to do that?  I am halfway through the book, and nothing more regarding that subject has come up.  There was even an entire section on the chaplain, and still nothing.  Zip, zero, zilch, the big goose egg.  What's up with that?  Will my curiosity be relieved or am I doomed to wonder forever?  Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment