Saturday, August 24, 2013

Finally...

I am done!  I finally came to the best part of the book - the end.  Not really - it was really the author's note AFTER the end.  I found Nabokov's voice very refreshing, and while I commend his reasons for writing this book, I still find its subject matter very distasteful, and I think most people would agree with that assessment.  that being said, he did have a wonderful command of the English language, despite his misgivings on that front.  I would love to read some other works by him that he wrote in English - I am sure I would find them very entertaining. 

My personal feeling is that this book is on so many "Top 100" lists because, much like Faulkner, people think they should be reading it because it's on so many "Top 100" lists.  I did enjoy it better than the Faulkner book I'm going to have to reread to get through my list, so that's something (not a surprising something if you know me at all, but still something).

Onward through the list - and the fog.

No comments:

Post a Comment