Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Final Thoughts on Heller

I just realized that I neglected to give my final assessment of Catch 22.  It's a tough thing to articulate.  I didn't not like it, but for the most part, I prefer books with plots, and this book did not have one.  It has a purpose, but no plot.  Its purpose is to point out the futility of war and how everything about war catches you in a vicious cycle of circular reason that eventually lead you back to where you started, which is nowhere anyone wants to be.  The most striking theme of the book is the plight of the unknown soldier, visualized primarily by the soldier in white, which I believe Heller is asserting is really every soldier fighting in a war that has no real winners (i.e. every war).  That, I believe, was his purpose in writing this book; a plot; however, would have been nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment