Monday, August 12, 2013

Victory will be mine

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly...whoops!  I mean, as God is my witness, I will finish this book tomorrow.  It's not one of those books that you just have to keep reading to get to the climax - mainly because there isn't going to be one.  I am on page 398 of 463, so it's looking good (and only two days over my original time frame).  The antiwar sentiment is very strong, but the book is still not about anything.  It's just so postmodern with its nonlinearity and intertextuality and no real plot, sometimes it's hard to wrap your head around things.

My two favorite quotes from what I read today:

About the safety of airplanes (remember - this was written 50 years ago):  “What preposterous madness to float in thin air two miles high on an inch or two of metal, sustained from death by the meager skill and intelligence of two vapid strangers.”

The efficiency of the military (or any bureaucratic entity):  “That’s the way things go when you elevate mediocre people to positions of authority.”

No comments:

Post a Comment