Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Halfway through the list!!!

Got finished with An American Tragedy yesterday, so I am officially halfway through the reading list.  Yay for me!!  I am quite a bit behind my original schedule as you know, but as I said before, as long as I arrive eventually.

Dreiser's book was good, but like many (most?) of the books on this list, quite depressing.  He also drove me crazy with his irregular comma use - sometimes I had to read a sentence three times in order to figure out exactly what he meant to say.  I hate that!  Other than that, however, his writing style lends itself to easy reading, obvious by the fact that I got this 856-page book read (along with everything else going on in my life) in only 10 days.

Next up on the list is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand - and it's over 1100 pages!  It was published in 1957 and was Ayn's last novel.  According to the Wikipedia page I just saw when I binged the title (for the publishing date), it is Rand's longest novel, and she considered it her magnum opus.  My co-worker said she thoroughly enjoyed this novel, and she and I often enjoy the same books, so I am now looking more forward to it than I was.  It is en route to my library branch, so I can't start it today, but hopefully by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment