Saturday, July 5, 2014

Real Progress Today

Today, somehow, I read ALL of Episode 15 - all 150 pages!  That has been quite a feat, if I do say so myself.  It's written in the form of a play, and, according to Wikipedia, contains all sorts of hallucinations that Bloom and Stephen have.  I was wondering, because in the part about Bloom being on trial, he goes from a serial cheater to wanting to be spanked to cross-dressing to a king to voyeurism (as in wanting to watch and take pictures).  Crazy stuff there.

I did find one thing interesting - at one point, Joyce mentions "Big Brother," a phrase I thought came about much later, 30 years later when Orwell wrote Animal Farm.  Live and learn, right?

My favorite alliterative passage in Episode 15:






And my favorite sentence, since it's something I say all the time:






You know - to the deaf man on the phone!

No comments:

Post a Comment