Thursday, January 30, 2014

Tough Finding Time...

...to read, but I grabbed a few minutes today.  I like the book, but it is not the sort of book that you "just can't put down."

I did find a couple of passages that I really like:

"Grown don't mean nothing to a mother.  A child is a child.  They get bigger, older, but grown? What's that supposed to mean? In my heart it don't mean a thing."  I have this discussion with a friend all the time - one who does not have children.  She cannot understand this precise sentiment - just because you're grown - just because you're not A child any more - does not mean you're not MY child any more.  That sentiment never changes.

The main characters were going to the carnival, and Morrison says they (and the other Blacks on their way there) were "breathless with the excitement of seeing whitepeople loose" doing magic, clowning, without heads or with two heads."  Hilarious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment