Sunday, January 26, 2014

Another One Down

All finished now, and I can't say I'm a big fan of the ending.  I wanted a revolution, a glimmer of hope for the human race, but, alas, it was not meant to be.  I suppose it's a commentary on just how pervasive government leis can become - they keep saying the same things over and over again until you wind up believing them.  A complete degradation of mind and spirit, something I believe the Communists and Fascists were quite good at. 

I would definitely be interested in seeing the movie they made - to see how they portray the torture Winston goes through.  The rest of the book would be fairly straightforward to shoot, I think, but that part would be difficult.  So difficult, in fact, they might just skip over most of it (especially under the time constraints of a film).  that could be another project - watching the movies that were made of all of these books.  I'm pretty sure they have all been adapted.

But enough of that - on to the next novel.  The ninth book on the list is the most recent novel to make the list - Beloved by Toni Morrison, which was published in 1987.  The synopsis tells me it will be somewhat easier subject matter (but not that easy) than the only one of her books that I've read thus far - that was The Bluest Eye, and that is one dark, depressing book.   Beloved won Morrison the Pulitzer Prize in 1988, and she also won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1993.  Slavery during the Civil War is not something I have read many novels on, but I am well  versed in the history of this time period, so I think I will get into the book right away.


No comments:

Post a Comment