Sunday, November 23, 2014

New Book List Located!


All excited – got a new book list to read through!

For this list, the BBC ran a poll for the UK to choose their Best-Loved Book. Three quarters of a million votes were received, and a the end, J.R.R. Tolkien's classic The Lord of the Rings triumphed over all competitors. The entire list has 200 books on it, but the top 21 are listed here, as they are ranked in the final:

1. The Lord of the Rings – J.R.R. Tolkein
2. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
3. His Dark Materials – Philip Pullman
4. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – J.K. Rowling
6. To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
7. Winnie the Pooh – A.A. Milne
8. Nineteen Eighty-Four – George Orwell
9. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe – C.S. Lewis
10. Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte
11. Catch-22 – Joseph Heller
12. Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
13. Birdsong – Sebastian Faulks
14. Rebecca – Daphne du Maurier
15. The Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger
16. The Wind in the Willows – Kenneth Grahame
17. Great Expectations – Charles Dickens
18. Little Women – Louisa Mae Alcott
19. Captain Corelli’s Mandolin – Louis de Bernieres
20. War and Peace – Leo Tolstoy
21. Gone with the Wind – Margaret Mitchell

As before, the entire list is a little daunting, so this list is the one I’m going to read. To knock it down a little more, I am going to skip the ones I just read during my recent book reading foray. Due to that list, I get to cross off numbers 4, 6, 8, 11, 15, and 21. That leaves 15, so if I give myself three weeks for each, that will add up to almost a year again. Of those 15, I think I’ve only read two, Winnie the Pooh and Great Expectations. As much as I don’t want to seem like I’m procrastinating, I think I’ll wait to start with the new year – too much stuff going on until then. This should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment